Share Our Strength Increases Participation in Fundraising Campaigns Through Facebook Ads
Share Our Strength, a Washington, D.C. nonprofit fighting to end child hunger in America, wanted to increase registrations for its Bake Sale for No Kid Hungry, a national fundraising initiative that encourages people to host bake sales in their communities to help end childhood hunger. Those who were interested in holding a bake sale could register via the Bake Sale for No Kid Hungry website.
Marketing Mojo suggested advertising on Facebook, which allows advertisers to target their ads to potential customers based on data such as demographics (such as gender and age), location and interests. This granularity of ad targeting made Facebook an ideal platform for generating more conversions for Share Our Strength. The campaigns would utilize right column ads that appear on the right side of the page when a user is logged in to Facebook.
Timeline of Campaign
- October 2012: Marketing Mojo launched the Facebook Advertising campaigns for Share Our Strength’s Bake Sale for No Kid Hungry. The initial targeting for this campaign was females, age 35-55+, as well as those with interests in baking, baking blogs and magazines, and baking TV shows.
- Spring 2013: In addition to those with interests in baking, we introduced new campaigns targeting those connected to No Kid Hungry’s Facebook page and those connected to the Bake Sale for No Kid Hungry Facebook page.
- Fall 2013: We narrowed targeting to females age 35-45, which was the audience sweet spot for Bake Sale for No Kid Hungry. We began heavier testing of ads, changing ad copy and focusing on using the best performing image from all campaigns, and optimizing the landing page to make it responsive for various devices.
As we honed the targeting, ads and landing page, there were considerable improvements in the results from campaign to campaign over the course of the year. Overall, Share Our Strength saw the following:
- Conversion rate increased by 134%
- Cost-per-conversion was reduced by 64%
- Cost-per-click decreased by 20%