This session is packed with an all-star mobile SEO team with Bryson Meunier, Cindy Krum, Maile Ohye and Michael Martin, and it’s even moderated by Greg Sterling. All of them, with the exception of Maile Ohye who is handling a lot of stuff at Google, focus on mobile in their everyday professional lives.
There’s more time being spent on mobile devices now than on PCs, so this stuff is important…but it’s very complicated too.
Google’s goal is now putting computing everywhere. It’s not just a repository of information. Google is now a conversational engine. This allows for better targeting or results and helps them determine search intent.
Michael’s points in getting into the mobile search conversation:
There are 3 options for mobile site configurations:
Google wants you to go with responsive web design, but they also want it to work and use technology that provides a good user experience. They don’t want you to have a slow site either.
Bryson doesn’t “hate” responsive web design, but it’s often perceived that he does. It has some benefits though. Some marketers are definitely succeeding with it. It’s difficult to find successful SEO case studies about the use of it.
Where responsive falls short:
Dedicated and dynamic pages work for taking advantage of context-specific marketing and can maintain link-retained value. There are case studies to support their use from an SEO standpoint.
There are problems with developers having the technical know-how on direct mobile and adaptive mobile sites.
You have to find which technology works best for your site. There are many ways to win in mobile.
Cindy is discussing how to make your mobile site fast-loading, and mobile ranking signals.
Setting up mobile HTTP Headers is a signal that Google interprets as a mobile indicator. Varies: user-agent is good for Responsive Sites. You must work out your CDN cache issues though.
Broken content is a negative in mobile. These pages don’t rank well. Flash, pop-ups, side to side scrolling, tiny fonts, tiny buttons, and content only available for certain mobile devices are all negatives.
Page Speed is important:
Tools for optimizing page speed:
Load time is super important. Consider a mixed or staged approach depending on your page content or objective (you don’t have to use just one method. You can use responsive and mobile specific on the same site).
You need a holistic strategy for mobile sites and apps.
Evolving Mobile SEO
Apps are in mobile search now, just like sites are in search results the search box is combining them both now. In-app indexing is rolling out. If you have the app on your phone you can get the app coming up in your search results too and go to the result in your app.
Mobile web task completion average success rate is 62% according to Nielsen. The other 38% is an opportunity.
Mobile users reach you with apps. Browsers search or direct, Referral, Mobile App Store or Direct from the device. It’s complicated now because we need to think about how all these components can be used. Each plays a unique role and you have to determine which role each plays.
The technical part and the user experience are the important things for mobile SEO to Google. Check out the Google Developers site for how to address these things.
Optimizing for Apps is just like Mobile SEO.
Iterate and make improvements
Address the weak tasks (do they take too long). If not, improve it and make it a more seamless experience.
Join over 4,000 marketers who receive actionable digital marketing insights.